What's the Economy For?
A Democratic, Market-Based Alternative
- Ten Common Sense Economic Truths outs the false values, assumptions, and logic of the old economy.
- A Healthy Economy identifies the outcomes of healthy system function, the essential shift in the economy's defining characteristics required to get these outcomes, and a three-fold change strategy.
- Which Story? contrasts the underlying assumptions of the old and new economies and asks you to identify which you find more consistent with your experience and understanding.
- Healthy Markets explores how a healthy market economy mimics the structure and capacity for rule-based self-organization of a healthy ecosystem.
- Money Rules addresses the money system as a system of power and identifies the design choices that determine whether money flows to the phantom wealth Wall Street economy or the real wealth Main Street economy.
- Life as Teacher outlines the case for looking to healthy living systems as a source of learning relevant to redesigning the institutional structures of human economies to mimic the structure and dynamics of the biosphere.
- Emergence and Displacement outlines a three-fold strategy for global scale transformational change through locally-rooted, self-organizing citizen action..
- Seven System Action Points identifies the critical areas in which policy action is required to shift the advantage from the declining Old Economy to the emerging New Economy. This is keyed to the New Economy system framework spelled out on our partner New Economy Working Group website.
- What's New About this New Economy? spells out the differences between two contrasting visions of a New Economy: the magical high-tech fantasy economy and the reality-based living economy. The latter vision is of more recent origin, and thus the new version.
- New Economy Resources provides a guide to resources for further study, organizing discussions, and action engagement.
The living systems perspective on the New Economy outlined here is spelled out in more detail in the 2nd edition of Agenda for a New Economy, a report of the New Economy Working Group (NEWGroup). It is further developed in our YES! Magazine blog, the ongoing YES! New Economy web feature Path to a New Economy, and our Twitter and Facebook feeds. See <new-economy-resources> for more details. You will also find a wealth of additional materials in the library section of this site.