From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from G.F. Knapp)
|Born||March 7, 1842|
|Died||February 20, 1926|
|Institution||University of Strasbourg|
|Field||Monetary economics, statistics|
|Influenced||Ladislaus Bortkiewicz (Dr. phil. habil. 1895) (doctoral student), Kurt Singer (doctoral student)|
 BiographyHe studied in Munich, Berlin and Göttingen, and in 1867 became director of the Statistical Bureau of Leipzig. Two years later, he was appointed assistant professor of economics and statistics in the University of Leipzig. In 1874, he was appointed a professor of political economy at the University of Strasbourg, where he remained until to 1918. He was also rector at Strasbourg in the years 1891–92 and 1907–08.
 WorksHis earlier writings deal chiefly with population and agricultural topics.
- Ueber die Ermittelung der Sterblichkeit (“On the ascertainment of mortality,” 1868)
- Die Sterblichkeit der Sachsen (“Mortality in Saxony,” 1869)
- Theorie des Bevölkerungswechsels (“The theory of population fluctuations,” 1874)
- Die Bauernbefreiung und der Ursprung der Landarbeiter in den älteren Teilen Preussens (“The liberation of peasants and the origins of the agriculturalist in the older parts of Prussia, ”1887)
- Die Landarbeiter in Knechtschaft und Freiheit (“The farmer in serfdom and freedom,” 1891)
- Grundherrschaft und Rittergut (“Land ownership and seignorial lands,” 1897)
- Staatliche Theorie des Geldes (“The State Theory of Money”), München u. Leipzig, Duncker & Humblot, 1921. 3rd edition. English edition of 1924 in PDF format
 FamilyKnapp was the father of Elly Heuss-Knapp. He raised his two daughters alone, uncommon at the time, after their Georgian-born mother, Knapp's wife, became mentally ill.
 See also
- Archive for the History of Economic Thought
- The State Theory of Money (English translation). 1924.
- "Knapp, Georg Friedrich". New International Encyclopedia. 1905.
|Name||Knapp, Georg Friedrich|
|Short description||German economist|
|Date of birth||March 7, 1842|
|Place of birth||Gießen|
|Date of death||February 20, 1926|
|Place of death||Darmstadt|