Current Campaigns/Ref Friends of the Earth
We're facing a planetary emergency. As more and more scientific reports confirm, we could be looking at a temperature rise of 6 degrees celsius and catastrophic climate change by the end of the century.
We're already seeing the impacts of climate change around the world.
From the carnage wrought by Hurricane Sandy to the devastating flooding in Nigeria, the impacts of climate change are now evident for all to see, and alarmingly more frequentAnd yet world leaders continue to stick their heads in the sand:
- The outcome of the climate talks in Durban was unambitious, unfair and could postpone action until it is too late
- For highly vulnerable countries the outcome "certainly isn't where we need to be in order to prevent islands from going under"
- European leaders are also failing to take climate change seriously.
Qatar-stropheThe most recent UN climate talks in Doha, Qatar, ended with no meaningful climate action. Discussions were gridlocked as rich countries continued to:
- Push carbon emissions cuts onto poor countries
- Break promises made at previous climate talks
- And fail to provide climate finance for poor countries to adapt to climate change and develop cleanly.
Rarely has so little been achieved by so many powerful people gathered together in one place - the failure to agree any meaningful international action to slash emissions leaves the world teetering on the edge of catastrophic climate change.
Looking aheadGovernments are not acting fast enough. It is vital that people unite nationally, regionally and globally to put pressure on governments to take meaningful climate action before it's too late.
Friends of the Earth will be working with others to help build a global climate campaign. And along with our international family, we will continue to push for:
- An increase to EU emission targets
- Carbon emissions cuts in line with science
- Rich countries to provide finance and technology so that poorer ones can act
- Smart ways to finance the Green Climate Fund - not risky carbon trading schemes
- Clean and affordable energy as a solution to energy poverty.